For Immediate Release
January 27, 2016
Contact: Ranit Schmelzer
Bipartisan Group of National Service Champions to be Honored
Senators John McCain, Kelly Ayotte and Michael Bennet, Governor and First Lady McAuliffe, CSX Corporation Chairman Michael Ward, and Comcast NBCUniversal among honorees
Washington, DC – Voices for National Service will honor 18 distinguished leaders in government, business and journalism at the 13th Annual Friends of National Service Awards on February 9, 2016 at Union Station in Washington, DC.
The honorees were selected based on recognition and support for national service as a solution to some of the nation’s most pressing challenges. Each award winner has helped to raise public awareness of national service and elevate national service as a legislative priority.
“These honorees are remarkable leaders from across the nation who understand the unique value of national service as a cost-effective strategy for engaging citizens, improving communities, and strengthening the nation,” said AnnMaura Connolly, President, Voices for National Service. “Their commitment to national service and leadership in advancing the service movement directly benefit communities large and small, and we are grateful for their continued efforts to help expand service opportunities in America.”
The 2016 awards and honorees include:
- Franklin D. Roosevelt Service and Conservation Corps Leadership Award, for championing the important role of service and conservation corps in modern day America, reflective of the legendary ideals and work accomplished by Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Depression Era Civilian Conservation Corps: Senator John McCain (AZ) and Senator Michael Bennet (CO)
- State Leadership Award, for leadership and innovation in leveraging national service to meet state needs: Governor Terry McAuliffe (VA) and First Lady Dorothy McAuliffe
- Citizen Service Award, for investing in the civic health of our nation through support of national service: Michael Ward, Chairman and CEO, CSX Corporation
- Corporate Service Award, for investing in the civic health of our nation through support of national service: Comcast NBCUniversal. David L. Cohen, Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer of Comcast Corporation, will accept the award.
- Outstanding National Service Advocacy Award, for outstanding leadership and advocacy of national service as a state and federal priority: Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (NY), Representative Joe Kennedy III (MA), and Representative Robert Dold (IL)
- Distinguished Service Award, for prioritizing national service funding and legislation to expand high-quality opportunities for citizens to serve their community and our country: Senator Kelly Ayotte (NH) and Representative Lucille Roybal-Allard (CA)
- Edward M. Kennedy National Service Lifetime Leadership Award, for life-long dedication to citizen service and for outstanding leadership in advancing national service as a civic commitment and legislative priority: Representative Rosa DeLauro (CT)
- Outstanding New Member Award, for elevating national service as a first term legislative priority: Representative Garret Graves (LA) and Representative Seth Moulton (MA)
- Local Leadership Award, for leadership and innovation in leveraging national service to meet local needs: Mayor Richard Berry (Albuquerque, NM), Mayor Sly James (Kansas City, MO), and Mayor Francis Slay (St. Louis, MO)
- Service in Media Award, for using journalism to raise awareness of and encourage participation in national service: E.J. Dionne, Jr., Washington Post
In communities across the country, national service members of all ages and backgrounds provide critical services to fulfill unmet needs. National service members tutor and mentor struggling students, help Americans lead healthier lives, provide job training and other services to returning veterans, preserve the nation’s parks and public lands, offer disaster relief and recovery assistance after natural disasters, and support independent living for seniors and Americans with disabilities. For every federal dollar invested in national service, there are returns to society of nearly four dollars in terms of higher earnings, increased output, and other community-wide benefits.
The 13th Annual Friends of National Service Awards is sponsored by Comcast NBCUniversal, and CSX.
13th Annual Friends of National Service Awards
Tuesday, February 9, 2016 from 6:30 – 8:30pm (pre-reception 5:30 – 6:30pm)
East Hall at Union Station, 50 Massachusetts Avenue, NE, Washington, DC